We configure Client Push Installation in System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager, the installation of Configuration Manager Agent take long time to install on clients.
We also notice that client take long time to download to C:Windowsccmsetup folder and I checked ccmsetup.log file I found the following:
File ‘C:WindowsccmsetupWindowsFirewallConfigurationProvider.msi’ does not exist. Discovery failed.
File ‘C:Windowsccmsetupvcredist_x86.exe’ doesn’t exist.
File ‘C:Windowsccmsetupvc50727_x86.exe’ doesn’t exist.
File ‘C:WindowsccmsetupMicrosoftPolicyPlatformSetup.msi’ doesn’t exist.
File ‘C:WindowsccmsetupWindowsFirewallConfigurationProvider.msi’ doesn’t exist.
File ‘C:WindowsccmsetupSCEPInstall.exe’ doesn’t exist.
File ‘C:Windowsccmsetupclient.msi’ doesn’t exist.
Download Update: 15750351 out of 61961080 bytes transferred.
Download Update: 16050379 out of 61961080 bytes transferred.
Then I found the “successfully download” message in the ccmsetup.log file after one day. And everything is working fine after client installation such as Hardware and Software inventory, Remote Tool, Software Distribution, Software Update, Endpoint Protection, Power Management and other Configuration feature.
Given this situation, we don’t need to worry about our SCCM server, it should be running well. And there is no download problem between the SCCM server and the client machines.
Meanwhile, the download slow issue also can be related with BITS settings. It can occurs if the BITS throttling is enabled on the client machines.
To avoid it, we can use Group Policy to force the client to disable the BITS throttling. To do this, please try:
- On Domain Controller Server, open GPMC
- Create a new policy and link to the client machines (OU) or the domain.
- In the left pane of the Group Policy Management Console (GPMC), expand Computer Configuration, expand Administrative Templates, expand Network, and then click Background Intelligent Transfer Service.
- In the Setting pane, double-click Limit the maximum network bandwidth for BITS background transfers.
- In the top pane of the dialog box, click Disabled.
After that, please the user reboot the client computer and then logon again. The new polices will be applied to the client computers and the BITS throttling will be disabled.
I check if the BITS configured in SCCM client settings by the following:
- Open SCCM 2012 Console
- Click Administration, then click Client Settings.
- By default, check the Properties if the Default Settings.
- Check the settings of the first item “Background Intelligent Transfer“
- Please make sure the settings “Limit the maximum network bandwidth for BITS background transfers” is configured as: False.
- If you have customize client settings, please check the same settings.
After disable Limit the maximum network bandwidth through Group Policy the download of the SCCM setup files become very fast.