When you perform unattended installation of Windows 7 with SP1 and Internet Explorer 10 using MDT 2012 Update 1, you receive the following error message:
Windows could not parse or process unattend answer file [C:windowsPantherunattend.xml] for pass [specialize]. A component or setting specified in the answer file does not exist.
Additionally, the following errors are logged in the %systemroot%Panthersetupact.log
[setup.exe] SMI data results dump: Source = Name: Microsoft-Windows-IE-InternetExplorer, Language: neutral, ProcessorArchitecture: x86, PublicKeyToken: 31bf3856ad364e35, VersionScope: nonSxS, /settings/IEWelcomeMsg
Error [setup.exe] SMI data results dump: Description = Setting is not defined in this component.
Error [0x060432] IBS The provided unattend file is not valid; hrResult = 0x80220001
Error [0x060565] IBS Callback_Unattend_InitEngine:The provided unattend file [C:windowsPantherunattend.xml] is not a valid unattended Setup answer file; hr = 0x1, hrSearched = 0x1, hrDeserialized = 0x0, hrImplicitCtx = 0x0, hrValidated = 0x1, hrResult = 0x80220001
Error [0x0600c2] IBS Callback_Unattend_InitEngine:An error occurred while finding/loading the unattend file; hr = 0x1, hrResult = 0x80220001[gle=0x00000490]
Info [0x0601d7] IBS InstallWindows:Error Type = 3211273
This issue occurs only in case you install Internet Explorer 10, IEWelcomeMsg settings is not defined.
To solve this problem, follow the below steps:
- Run Windows System Image Manager.
Open Unattend.xml file from the following location:
Right click on IEWelcomeMsg and delete this component:
- Save unattend file and Update deployment share.
2 thoughts on “Error message when you perform Windows 7 SP1 W/IE10 Deployment: “Windows could not parse or process unattend answer file [C:WindowsPantherunattend.xml] for pass [Specialize]””
Hello I think with some research and some really good posts I might have figured out this problem. I tried many posts that didn’t work. Finally I create a new template system with all the drivers and updates needed. I rolled back IE10 and IE9 which was stated the possible problem. I created the WIM and new task with out “Apply Patches”. It seems to take care of the issue we will just need to manually update the IE 10 after deployment. Not a big deal this also was an issue with MDT2012 too. What is very upsetting is that I am using a Microsoft Product that doesn’t support a Microsoft product.
Thanks for your comment,
it’s not about “using a Microsoft Product that doesn’t support a Microsoft product” I was also confused when this error occur, 1st question came to my mind IE is Microsoft and MDT is Microsoft… why we have compatibility issues when new IE or new OS released… my simple answer is Microsoft should publish hotfix to MDT 2012 Update 1 or release Update 2 to fix this kind of issues.. I didn’t test MDT 2013 but I think it’s solved because it’s not available in “List of 36 Known Issues with Microsoft Deployment Toolkit MDT 2013 – See more at: http://anoopcnair.com/2013/10/19/features-removed-microsoft-deployment-toolkit-mdt-2013/#sthash.Wsz7Jax8.dpuf“